The first schoolhouse was located near the junction of Joppa and North Amherst roads. It was destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1816 opposite the site of the first one. In 1833, Joppa built its own schoolhouse, and the number of pupils decreased. In 1847, the west part of the district formed a union district with Amherst, further reducing district 9's population. The school was moved to a more central location, and then moved again in 1870 to its present location. The union district with Amherst was given up, and those students returned to district 9.